Wild Card Searches

David Spreadbury dspreadb at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 5 12:45:33 PDT 2009

Peter,
First I tried to search the framers archives because there was a discussion
on this topic a while back, but couldn't find the search function on
framers.

The following was posted last November by quills at airmail.net, in response to
a similar question:

<< The Frame search (wild card) feature is based upon grep. It's not a real
implementation, or a full implementation in any stretch of the imagination.
It's not fully documented as a search engine because it's only a small
feature of the program.

However, if you spend some time studying how grep works, then you will
understand how Wildcards are used. Think of character patterns.

For instance the bracket wildcard allows you to search for characters except
those in the brackets when you place a caret at the beginning of the string.
You can search for specific patterns, or groups of patterns.

For instance:

[0-9]*.

Searches for a numerical pattern which can consist of single digits or
multiple digits ending with a period. If you are replacing or removing a
manually created list for example. That pattern will find 1. as well as 100.
as both fit the repeating pattern.

You could also search for a alphabetic string with a specific pattern and
replace it by pasting in a variable.

Scott>>

David Spreadbury
Sr. Technical Writer