To make a hyperlink to a different area of text in the same book

Tue Oct 13 11:00:40 PDT 2009

Avraham Makeler

> I need to make a hyperlink (hypertext) to a different area of text in
the
> same book-- actually in the same document/file.
>
> How would I do this.

Why do you want to use hypertext instead of cross-references?

<snip>
> I can see that in FM there are things called markers (like
bookmarks?).

> And I can make cross-references to markers by setting the 'Source
Type' to
> 'Cross-reference Markers', but then I am not sure which building block
> put in the Reference Format that I must make. I have found something
> predefined called 'MarkerTextOnly' but when I use that it just deletes
the
> text to which I wanted to add a hyperlink.

OK, I guess you don't particularly want to use hypertext -- you just
need to understand cross-references. A marker is something like a
bookmark -- it's a flag that marks a spot. For x-ref and hypertext
destinations, the marker text merely serves as a unique identifier of
that spot. For other kinds of markers, it may contain additional
information (e.g., index entries).

But to create x-refs, you generally don't need to create a destination
marker (the exception is when you need to cross-reference a spot inside
a text inset). When you want to insert a cross-reference, in the
Cross-Reference dialog, you set Document to the destination document,
Source Type to Paragraphs, Paragraph Tags to the pgf format of the
destination (usually a heading, figure/table title, etc.), and find the
text of the destination pgf in the Paragraphs list. When you insert
x-refs to pgfs, FM creates and manages the destination markers for you.

As for "which building block to put in the Reference Format," you're
fundamentally misunderstanding what a Cross-Reference format is and how
to use them. Like a paragraph, character, or table format, it's
something you create once and then use whenever needed, not something
you create ad hoc for each cross-reference.

In the Edit Cross-Reference dialog, the Building Blocks list contains
only two things. The items with a dollar sign after the left angle
bracket are FM's placeholders for specific information -- like
<$paratext>, which retrieves the text of the destination paragraph for
the x-ref. The items with no dollar sign are character formats defined
in your document, like <Emphasis>, which you can insert to format all or
part of the x-ref.

Look at the definition of an existing format, like Page. It's probably
"page\ <$pagenum>" or something similar. Whenever you insert an x-ref
using the Page format, you'll get the word "page" followed by a
non-breaking space ("\ " in the format definition), followed by the page
number of the destination paragraph. Using the $ building blocks and
whatever surrounding text you need, you can define x-ref formats that
insert heading text, figure or chapter numbers, etc.

Spend some time reading about cross-references in the help or an FM
book, looking at examples in the sample or other docs, and experimenting
a bit, and you'll get it figured out. FM's x-refs are both easier and
much more reliable than Word's, once you understand how they work.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer