Beware the Inadvertent Global Search and Replace

Jon Harvey JHarvey at cambridgesoft.com
Thu Oct 15 13:45:14 PDT 2009

One of the habits I've gotten into is to put some random characters in
the Change field while I'm looking for something, not wanting to do a
global change. For example, if I want to search for each instance of
"dog", I might put "XCLQF%$" in the Change field. That way, if things go
south, I just have to reverse the process, globally search for "XCLQF%$"
and change it back to "dog". To make this work, you have to use a random
string that you KNOW is not in your document anywhere.

Jon Harvey
Manager, Desktop Documentation
CambridgeSoft Corporation
100 CambridgePark Drive