Framemaker installed under Administrator

Fri Oct 16 13:02:45 PDT 2009

Scott White wrote:

> Ok I just got off the phone with this guy. He doesn't like my
suggestions,
> Art's suggestion or anyone else's.
> He wants to control what gets installed and downloaded on a machine so
he
> wants to do all installs and downloads as administrator rights. He
doesn't
> want to give this person administrator rights to run the software in
fear
> this person will download other things.
> He installed photoshop and InDesign under these rules and they will
open up
> for the user rights. It's just Frame that won't. He wants me to get
with
> Adobe and have them fix this or get answers to his problem.

At this point, I think I'd adopt a humble, helpless attitude: "Gosh, Mr.
Windows Administrator, I just don't understand all this high-falutin'
technical stuff like you do and can't possibly explain it to the folks
at Adobe the way you can. Since _you're_ the only person who can be
trusted to install software on this PC, I think _you're_ the one who
needs to talk to Adobe to resolve the problem that _you're_ having in
getting it installed properly."

After all, if the PC user can't use the software, then Mr. Windows
Administrator clearly hasn't installed it properly. Since that's _his
job_, it's up to him to determine whether the problem is with him or
with Adobe.

I wouldn't want to bet either way. It's most likely that he failed to
install for All Users. OTOH, Adobe has a pretty poor track record with
installations. IIRC, I was unable to properly install some version of
either FM or Acrobat a while back, even though I have full administrator
rights to my PC. The installation had to be done by someone with
_network_ administrator rights. Sheesh.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.