Best practice for anchoring frames outside text frame?

James Dyson jdyson at kvh.com
Mon Oct 19 07:28:25 PDT 2009

Good morning. I'm hoping your collective experience can help us decide
the best way to handle this. I'd be happy to send a short sample to
anyone willing to view this. Goal: Steps that need a graphic will have
an anchored graphic positioned at right of that step, using as little
manual adjustment as possible.

*         Approach #1 - One text column is used. Graphics are anchored
outside text box. Within the anchored frame, a text box is nested, where
an auto-number format for figure numbers is used.

o   Pros - Graphics flow stay with step during pagination changes, etc.

o   Cons - Almost always requires manual adjustment for vertical spacing
when multiple graphics/frames are on the same page. The graphic must be
manually aligned within the frame to account for adding the text box
(with figure # label).

*          Approach #2 - Two text columns are used; one is for the body
of the document, and the other is only for the figures and their
graphics.

o   Pros - Vertical spacing is nearly automatic. No text box within the
anchored frame is needed.

o   Cons - No true link between steps and their graphics. Must designate
the 'figure' paragraph style or the 'figuretopofpage' style to get the
right pictures on the page.

Thanks,

James Dyson

Technical Writer

KVH Industries, Inc.

50 Enterprise Center | Middletown, RI 02842

Direct Tel: +1.401.845.2416

Tel: +1.401.847.3327 | Fax: +1.401.849.0045

jdyson at kvh.com

http://www.kvh.com <http://www.kvh.com/>