Xrefs in text insets (FM9)

Tue Oct 20 07:52:20 PDT 2009

Milton, Cynthia wrote:

> When I print the container doc to PDF, the Xrefs within the inset doc
do
> not convert to links.

Cross-references that are within a text inset don't convert into
hyperlinks in the PDF. This is a long-standing problem not corrected in
FM9.

The workaround is this:

1) Open and save all the files in the book.
2) Convert all the text insets to text.
3) Save as PDF.
4) Close all the files _without saving_.

Step 2 goes faster than you'd think because when you right-click a text
inset, you can elect to convert all the text insets in that file. So
it's one operation per file, not per text inset.

As you might guess, step 4 is critical. Blow it, and all your text
insets are gone.

The whole process can be automated with a FrameScript, and Rick Quatro
(frameexpert.com) is the guy to contact, as Diane Gaskill suggested
(although I think she was actually referring to a different problem
involving x-refs to destinations inside text insets; that one can be
avoided by inserting the x-refs correctly to begin with).

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.