Cursor blink rate affects FrameMaker stability?

JX Consulting JX at jxconsulting.com
Wed Oct 28 10:41:04 PDT 2009

Three writers on my team reported too-frequent crashes in FrameMaker
8, especially notable because it crashed disproportionately during
idle time. (As opposed to crashes during one of our extremely complex
FrameScripts that run 20 minutes or more... those usually completed
fine.) We do not have any fancy keystroke interception code in
FrameScript. Well, not yet anyway, I have a plan for some soon. :-)
So, I wouldn't expect that any of our code affects this Idle-Crash
issue. So, anyway i noticed one of the writers had a cursor that was
blinking weird, irregularly. I checked the windows  setting in:  Start
-> Control Panel -> Keyboard -> Cursor Blink Rate.

His blink rate was set to the MAXIMUM setting. I set it down a couple
notches. And his crashing problem went away! The two other writers
checked their setting for that, and theirs were set to the MINIMUM
setting (no blink). They set theirs UP a couple notches. And their
crashing problems reportedly also went away too!

Perhaps this is superstitious, but these three writers believe this
change was what made stability improve. It's possible this issue is
specific to folks with FrameScript, I have no idea. We all use
FrameScript.  I could easily imagine this being a system event Idle
issue either in FrameMaker, FrameScript, or both.

Anyway, if you are having crashing problems in FrameMaker, try setting
this setting to somewhere in the *middle* of the range and see if that
helps. If this change reduces your crashes noticably, PLEASE REPLY on
the forum to this post with more information about your configuration.
For example, that would clarify whether this is unique to FM8 or
affects FM9 also, and whether this affects non-FrameScript users!

Configuration for the team:
* Win XP SP3 32bit
   (except 1 writer w/ 64bit, who was 1 of the 3 with the issue)
* FrameMaker 8.0p277
* FrameScript 5.2R1 (some might be R2)

For the record, there are other writers on the team, including me, who
weren't experiencing these crashes. At least two of us had middle-of-
the-range settings for this value (and no "idle time" crashes), I'm
not sure about the other two writers.

   -- JX Bell
      JX Consulting