Help wth hyperlinks_Please

Tue Sep 8 07:04:35 PDT 2009

Susan Curtzwiler wrote:

> I have been reading and following the help files and the User Guide
for
> days now.  I cannot successfully and consistently make a simple link
within
> the same document.
>
> It looks like you need to save as "View Only" in order to activate the
> link.  I have done that and also saved regular and I cannot get the
link to
> jump from point A to point B
> or in other words to go from the "new link" to the "specified
destination".

> Here is what I am doing.
>
> 1.	Select the word or phrase that is the destination
> 2.	Go to Special>Hypertext
> 3.	In the Command box, select "Specify Named Destination"
> 4.	In the Syntax box it says "newlink"   and then next to that I
type in
> the word to be found  "checklist"  all lower case
> 5.	The checkbox for "Validate Command upon Insertion is checked
> 6.	Click on "New Hypertext Marker"
>
> then I go to the starting point
>
> 1.	Select the word or phrase that will be marked as the starting
point
> 2.	Go to Special>Hypertext
> 3.	In the Command box, select "Jump to Named Destination"
> 4.	In the Syntax box it says "gotolink" and then next to that I
type in
> the word that was used at the destination point "server"  all lower
case
> 5.	The checkbox for "Validate Command upon Insertion is checked
> 6.	Click on "New Hypertext Marker"

Congrats, Susan, you've restarted the list! :-)

You should be getting an error message when you create the link, since
you have "Validate Command upon Insertion" selected and you're creating
a hyperlink to a destination that doesn't exist.

In your first step 4, you created a "Named Destination," naming it
"checklist." That created a marker at the place you want to jump to.

In the second step 4, when you create a "Jump to Named Destination," you
must enter the name you gave the destination -- "checklist" -- not the
word at the destination point. The hyperlink points to a marker, not a
word in the text flow. In this case, it should be the "checklist" marker
you created to mark the destination.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs