PS vs Save as PDF

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 07:14:43 PDT 2009

SaveAs uses hidden job settings that differ from the standard
Distiller job settings and for many people don't work as well -- it
just tends to be more problematic to produce consistent results.  How
well it works varies a lot depending on your FM and Acrobat versions,
and whether you use the limited Distiller instance shipped with Frame
or the full version.

Saving as a PS file and then distilling keeps the entire production
inside Acrobat itself where it's more easily controlled -- there are
no hidden settings.

That said, there's no reason to do a two-step PS-then-distill process
when you can just Print to the Adobe PDF printer instance, which
produces the PS file and distills it in one step.

Art Campbell
               art.campbell at gmail.com
                                                      No disclaimers apply.
                                                               DoD 358