Has anyone used Subversion for FrameMaker "document control"?

Syed.Hosain at aeris.net Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Sat Sep 26 14:54:57 PDT 2009

 (Trying this again since my first two did not going through ... more
than a few days now.)

Hi, all.

I often update specifications and documents (all get a new version
number, etc.). Currently, I maintain these in separate folders for each
version of a given spec. Basically, one folder contains the .book and
all the .fm and image and other files necessary to generate the PDF for
particular version of the document.

But this can easily get out of hand ... one of my documents is at
version 22.7 for example, over the years! There are many duplicate image
and .fm files as a result of this - whatever does not change from
version to version.

It would be good to have a system that maintains the differences for me
and minimizes the number of duplicate files.

As it happens, we are considering changing to use Subversion for our
source code control system (see www.collabnet.com
<http://www.collabnet.com>  for more info) in our software development
group ... the earlier RCS stuff did not work well for me for FrameMaker
documents.

Hence my questions:

1.       Has anyone ever used Subversion for FrameMaker "document
control" (to maintain multiple versions of documents) purposes?

2.       How well does it handle "non-text" FrameMaker binary files
(like .book and .fm files)?

3.       How much did you like or dislike it?

4.       Would you recommend something else (instead of subversion) for
this purpose?