FM9 - Table Placement

Mon Sep 28 14:04:56 PDT 2009

Alison Craig wrote:

> I am having difficulty with Table Placement.
>
> Sometimes the tables cooperate nicely and break between rows across a
page
> in the manner I expect. Other times, they "insist" on starting on a
new
> page regardless of the fact that there is plenty of room for some/most
of
> the table on the previous page. In this latter case, I even have
examples
> where they fill the page they begin on then continue to the next page
for
> the final one or two rows.

There are several things that can interact to affect where a table
starts/breaks. Check the following:

- Keep With setting of the paragraph containing the table anchor (and
the pgfs before and after it)

- Orphan Rows setting in the Table Designer (Basic tab)

- Custom row format settings (Start Row and Keep With) of each affected
row (Table > Row Format)

> The tables are all set up as follows:
>
> Align = Left
> Start = Anywhere
> Title = No Title
>
> This last is slightly inaccurate as I do give all tables a Title
through a
> Paragraph Style with an Autonumber Format. This is placed before the
table
> and is assigned to:

This really isn't a good idea. Why do you want to kludge a title in this
way instead of making it part of the table format? The latter can use
the very same autonumbered pgf format you're using for the fake titles.
And a title that's part of the table format will repeat on subsequent
pages (optionally, with the Table Continuation variable appended).

> Start = Anywhere
> Keep With = Next Pgf
>

> I'm sure - or at least I'm hoping - there is some simple setting
somewhere
> that will allow me to have the table break between rows as space
allows
> (I'd prefer not to have it break across rows unless I choose to use
that
> option as an exception).

You don't get that choice. :-) Unlike Word, FM doesn't permit a page
break within a row. (If you must, you can fake it by using two rows,
with custom ruling settings hiding the ruling line between them so they
look like one row.)

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs