Tab in multi-line TOC entry does not work

Tue Sep 29 08:19:56 PDT 2009

Nancy Allison wrote:

> My List of Figures includes a caption that is very long. (Engineers
feel a
> need to write an entire encyclopedia entry in each caption, and I
haven't
> been able to dissuade them.)
>
> I put soft returns in the actual caption in the text, so that is
broken
> like this:
>

> Simplified Equivalent Circuits of a Dielectric, Showing the
>  Various Parameters of Current as a Function of Test Voltage
> (Parallel R/C Network)
>
> It shows up in the List of Figures like this (should align correctly
if
> your email is set to Plain Text):
>
> Figure 1.6   Blah blah blah . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . .
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-8
>
> Figure 1.7   Simplified Equivalent Circuits of a Dielectric, Showing
the
>                    Various Parameters of Current as a Function of Test
> Voltage
>                    (Parallel R/C Network)>1-9
>
> I've checked on the Reference page. Both figure 1.6 and 1.7 above use
the
> same reference page entry. No other tab interferes with the proper
> placement of the page number. So why doesn't 1-9 appear under 1-8?

In the ref page entry, put multiple tab characters between <$paratext>
and <$chapnum> -- at least one for each line in your longest caption.
Each time a line of text in the pgf moves past that tab position, it
"burns" one of the tab characters. So you've "run out," as it were. :-)

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer