Any advantage to upgrade-FM7.2 to FM9?

Scott White swhite at alamark.com
Wed Sep 30 06:17:39 PDT 2009

In my line of work of building catalogs, this upgrade has been a big
disappointment. We upgraded for the sole purpose of using 4-color
processing that supposedly this version supported. And it does to some
extent.
However, it does not support spot color or tints even though
documentation suggests otherwise. Oh sure, if I print my own
separations out, but that is not what printers need, they want
composites. I have had two clients upgrade because of the 4-color
support and still they can't do what they want. They assumed, like I,
that 4-color means also spot color and tint. So now I have to listen
to them complain to me. Again when you assume....
The PDF creator is also very buggy and can not be trusted when
creating pdfs for print. I still must distill a file and then use
acrobat distiller to get the results I expect and my printer needs.
So I have this iMac that I will continue run Frame 7 on so I can get
true color plates and color support. It sure befuddles me that the
leader in graphic and desktop publishing software   can not get
Framemaker right in this regards.

Scott White
Media Production & EBC Manager
Implementation Coordinator