Special character as bullet

David Spreadbury dspreadb at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 12:45:25 PDT 2010

Nina,
I knew I saved my Frame 5.5 User's Guide for a reason. The original
FrameMaker books went into much more detail than the newer versions.

The 5.5 User's Guide has the following procedure to use a special bullet
symbol:
To use a special bullet symbol:

1. Create a character format that uses the font of the bullet symbol you
want to use. For example, to use 9-point Zapf Dingbats, create a character
format using that font. Give the format a descriptive name such as
BulletFont.

For information on creating character formats, see "Creating new formats".

2. Display the Numbering properties of the Paragraph Designer and enter the
character corresponding to the bullet symbol you want in the Autonumber
Format text box (rather than select the symbol in the Building Blocks scroll
list).

For example, if you want a Zapf Dingbat square bullet, enter the lowercase
letter n, which appears as () in that font. To find the character that
corresponds to the bullet symbol you want, see the character set for that
font (see the online manual FrameMaker Character Sets for the character sets
for the Symbol and Zapf Dingbats font).

3. Click the tab symbol (\t) in the Building Blocks scroll list or enter
spaces.

Note: You may have to use special codes to enter characters such as
nonbreaking spaces or em spaces. For information, see Appendix A, "Typing in
Dialog Boxes."

4. In the Character Format scroll list, click the bullet character format
that you created.

5. Click Apply to Selection.

HTH.

David Spreadbury