Paragraph Designer freezes

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Sat Apr 3 23:15:16 PDT 2010

Carol,

You wrote:

>Frame 9.0p250 on Win7 64-bit with 12 whopping GB of RAM
>Is anyone besides me experiencing a total freeze on the paragraph
>designer (e.g., can't move from one property icon to another property
>icon; can't apply; can't update all, etc.). This just started
>happening a couple of weeks ago. It is resolved by closing down Frame
>and restarting the program. Within a few minutes, the problem returns.
>Very annoying and time consuming, especially while I am designing
>templates. Any ideas?

This problem was quite common with early releases of FM9.0.

Can you identify any specific sequence that leads to this freeze?

With the latest patch for FM9 (9.0p250), I consistently have this problem
when adjusting tab stops or indents using the ruler, with the paragraph
designer showing any set of properties other than Basic.  I usually prefer
to set/adjust tabs visually, then Update All (using the paragraph designer
or through a keyboard shortcut). Until this bug is fixed, switching the
paragraph designer to the Basic set of properties first, before adjusting
tabs/indents using the ruler, consistently serves as a workaround.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
"Improve Your FrameMaker Skills" 1-hour web training sessions