Frame 7.1 to 8 upgrade -- benefits?

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Fri Apr 9 09:55:42 PDT 2010

> (We are cautious about 9.0, don't want to struggle with a buggy
> interface.)

I wouldn't call the interface buggy. The only bugs popping to mind are one
caused by dragging tab stops on the ruler instead of applying them in the
paragraph designer, and some issues with Save as PDF. The first bug will
probably be squashed soon, now that it has been reported. Save as PDF has
had issues in every version of FM. The gurus generally recommend against
using it, and printing to AdobePDF instead.

The FM team in India deserves kudos for the work they've done one recent
releases and how responsive they have been to bug reports. FM9 is a good,
stable product and well worth the upgrade.

I highly recommend the two videos on the new FM 9 interface and FM 9
workspaces at this location: http://www.adobe.com/support/framemaker/. I
struggled a little with the new interface until I watched the videos, and
then it all became clear. To me, the new interface is an improvement over
the old one.

Mike Wickham