Strategy for Handling Conditional Text

Bill Swallow techcommdood at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 09:19:15 PDT 2010

> This has led me finally to consider conditional text. I'd
> create two tags: windows and linux. Then,  I'll apply the tags to operating
> system specific UI/functionality while leaving shared content alone.

Sounds like a perfect solution.

> Here's the thing though, I am not a fan of conditional text. I've learned
> that i need to apply the tags in a very specific sequence and apply it to
> preceding paragraph marks or otherwise hiding and showing the conditional
> text introduces funky formatting into my book. I also think it makes
> managing and tracking content in a document really tricky.

Well, you do need to be consistent about applying it. But conditional
text shouldn't be affecting style-driven formatting at all. Are you
hiding indicators when publishing?

> -is there a better mechanism than conditional text that I could use to get
> the same result?

Not without moving to DITA or another XML solution.

> -If conditional text is the best solution, is there a framemaker plugin that
> makes managing conditional text easier? Note that I am not interested in
> FrameScript.

I've always found Frame's native conditional text handling to be more
than adequate so I've never looked before. A quick Google search
turned up a few but I can't speak to them at all.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Available for contract and full time opportunities.