Strategy for Handling Conditional Text

David Spreadbury dspreadb at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 14:46:55 PDT 2010

I have been following this thread with interest. I, personally believe that
conditional text would solve your problem, but, I was recently involved in
documenting a software application that was targeted for Windows and Unix.
The client did not want to use conditional text. So, we were left with
creating separate sections for Unix and Windows, only where there were
functional differences. This primarily occurred with installation and
maintenance, i.e., backup, restore, type procedures. Our solution was to
document the platform-specific procedures consistently in the same order.
The installation section would document the Unix-specific procedures
followed by the Windows procedures. The same was true whenever this
situation arose. The headings were, usually, identical except to refer to
the platform; "Installing on Unix" followed by "Installing on Windows". I
worked out very nice.

The big advantage of doing it this way is production of one document instead
of two, which made follow-on maintenance was much easier; only one book to
muck with.

Just a second opinion.

David Spreadbury
Sr. Technical Writer