Training materials for Structured FrameMaker 9

Alison Craig Alison.Craig at ultrasonix.com
Tue Apr 27 11:59:40 PDT 2010

I'm just beginning the process of looking at what a (more) structured environment could give me rather than XML as a specific solution. However, as budget is a big issue and I have Frame 9, Structured Frame seemed a good place to start.

I read Sarah O'Keefe's piece "XML and Lone Writers" this morning and my immediate response to it was that XML wouldn't suit the constraints under which I work and the current output I am required to produce.

However, I can see us evolving in that direction as Management is starting to understand the whole reuse concept through my application of Conditional Text. Because Conditional Text is only going to take us so far in constructing the documents they are beginning to envision, I may be able to make a good case for XML/Structured Frame in order to create all the different things they have suddenly decided would be a good idea.

However, as my plate is extremely full for the next 5 months (2 software updates planned for 4 hardware platforms, introduction of a 5th hardware platform, 2 Service Manuals to update and a 3rd Service Manual to create from scratch), nothing will get done in a hurry.

Alison

Alison Craig, Technical Writer
Ultrasonix Medical Corporation
Tel: (604) 279-8550, ext 127