Structuring documents (was RE: Adobe's New Corporate Strategies)

Ed hamonwry12 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 30 13:48:31 PDT 2010

Matt-

People are asking why it's so hard to convert. My point is that for many
solo writers, it's hard to propose a conversion to management, and get
buy-in, especially when there's doc to write that's currently being
delivered just fine in their eyes.

To successfully convert unstructured content to a structure, you need:

An expert to create an EDD and/or DTD.
An expert in XSL to create output.
An expert to map your current styles to elements.
An expert to help you update your content to shoe-horn into the new XML
'buckets'.
An expert to train those who are going to be using the new tools.

Now, that could be one person, or a team. However, it's still someone else
that needs to be paid.

It doesn't take a team to upgrade from Word to Frame. Converting to CHM has
been mostly a one-button operation for years. If you want WebHelp, all you
need is some HTML and CSS knowledge and a copy of a HAT. Once Pagemaker came
around, it made publishing easier. Once Dreamweaver and FrontPage came
around, it made creating web pages easier. Converting to structure may never
get that easy, but it's gotta get easier than it is now.
-=Ed.

Strategies)