FM8 compatibility with Windows 7

Tue Aug 3 12:39:19 PDT 2010

Fred Ridder wrote:

> Does anyone have solid information on whether or not FrameMaker 8.x is
> compatible with Windows 7?
> One of the engineers in a group I work with just got a shiny new laptop
> with Windows 7 (so far our corporate IT people are only allowing Windows 7
> on brand-new machines), and the IT folks insisted that she has to install
> FrameMaker 9 rather than FrameMaker 8 because FM8 is not compatible. Of
> course, this now causes file compatibility issues since everybody else in
> the group still has FrameMaker 8 and can't get FM9 yet because the IT
> group's "purchase software" website only offers FM8. Yes, I know she can do
> a Save As to save files she works on in FM8 file format, but she tells me
> that FrameMaker requires her to change the filename when she does so, and
> that causes issues with our version control system. <snip>

I can't help with the FM8/Win7 questions, but I can tell you that the engineer with FM9 is simply wrong. You most certainly _can_ save a file in FM8 format without changing the name.

In the Save Document dialog, when you change Save as type to Document 8.0 (*.fm) and click Save, FM first presents a dialog warning you that you may lose "information related to new features." If you click OK to continue, it then presents a dialog asking you if it's OK to overwrite the existing file. If you click OK again, it overwrites your FM9 version with an FM8 version. No problem.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.