RANT: FM 9.0 -

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Wed Aug 4 06:39:30 PDT 2010

Sorry, I'm retransmitting this for clarity because some of my text was
inadvertently set as quoteback of another person's message, instead of as my
own. I'm not sure what happened.

> And all the people who report bugs with Frame 9 are lying?

Lying? Who called anyone a liar? I didn't even say that FM9 was bug free. It
isn't. I  merely commented that the FM team has made real changes that all
users can take advantage of, rather than minor changes useful to only the
DITA crowd.

>Have they finally fixed the issue where you can't use cross-reference in
>text insets?

I don't use text insets, so I'm not sure which issue you mention. There is a
known issue, where cross-references to text insets don't update, UNLESS you
first create the cross-ref marker in the inset SOURCE file. The correct
procedure to prevent this is in FM Help:

===

Insert a cross-reference to a paragraph in a text inset

If you insert a paragraph cross-reference to a text inset, the
cross-reference marker is sometimes lost when the text inset is updated. To
prevent the marker from being lost, first insert a cross-reference to the
paragraph in the text inset's source document.

1. Open the source of the inset by double-clicking the inset and then
clicking Open Source from the Text Inset Properties panel.

2. Insert a cross-reference to the paragraph anywhere in the source
document.

3. Delete the cross-reference text. The marker remains.

4. Save the source document, and then in the document that contains the text
inset, update the text inset by choosing Edit > Update References.

5. Insert a spot cross-reference, this time in the document that contains
the inset. The cross-reference uses the marker in the updated inset.

===

> Have they fixed text insets so they don't bleed into the following
> paragraph?

Again, I'm not sure what you mean, but is this the well-known issue where a
paragraph format carries over to the next paragraph if an inset anchor buts
up against the trailing paragraph mark? That is solved simply by putting a
space between the inset anchor and the trailing paragraph mark.

Mike Wickham