RANT: FM 9.0 -

Bill Swallow techcommdood at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 06:38:59 PDT 2010

>> And all the people who report bugs with Frame 9 are lying?
>
> Steve, No, they aren't. But some perceived bugs are (only) limitations of the software.

Right on, Michael. And likewise, some limitations are only roadblocks
for a select few. I try to look for alternative solutions whenever
possible. If you get creative with your authoring approach you can
handle most anything, and for everything else there's the API and
wonderful tools like FrameScript and IXGen.

>> Ah, not to worry. As long as the pods are up all is well in the world.
>
> That is your opinion. Others think that all is well (=speedy) if all pods are closed. ;-)

I think many of us who have been using FM for 10 years or more would
agree with that. ;-) It's nice that Adobe made Framemaker all "ooh
shiny" to attract new customers, but me... I'd rather just get my work
done. I could do that with older versions because I only had to learn
to use it once. This new IDE-ish pod environment is constantly
tripping me up. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the pod
approach. I've learned many new products that use it. But when I've
used the same tool the same way for more than 12 years, it's quite
disorienting to have the UI completely change. It's like coming home
from vacation to find someone completely gutted your house, built a
new layout, and refurnished the whole thing. Good luck finding the WC!

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com