FrameMaker and Version Control Software

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 6 11:38:46 PDT 2010

Alison Craig wrote:

> Thanks for the additional information. I'm always impressed with the detail I get when I ask this list a question!
>
> You say "We configure it to exclude lck files". As R&D has yet to set me up on SVN (we're about to do an interim software/Addendum release) I don't have any experience with SVN yet. What does excluding lck files gain you?
>
> As for the tricky bit with multiple people - as a lone writer, this isn't a problem I currently have to face. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

As I noted in posting to the list within the last couple of days, if you are the only person who can be using the checked-out files (i.e. if you are a lone writer as you say you are), there is *NO* benefit to using FrameMaker's "Network File Locking", which is the feature that generates and then deletes all those stupid .lck files. Turn off the Network File Locking feature and you don't need to worry about excluding .lck files (or why you would want to ecxclude them) because they won't exist in the first place.

-Fred Ridder