Couldn't open <filename>

Rick Spiegel spiegel at abinitio.com
Fri Aug 13 13:19:44 PDT 2010

We are using FrameMaker 7.1, unstructured.

I am encountering the following problem with files translated into
Japanese from English.

When I try to update the book containing the files, I get the following
message in the Book Error Log window: "FrameMaker did not update the
generated files because of errors such as: Couldn't open
metadata-cache.fm." I also get the dialog that says: "FrameMaker did not
update the generated files in 'help.book' because of errors during the
update process."

If I go to the book file and double click the file in question, it opens
perfectly, with no unresolved cross-reference or unavailable font messages
or any messages at all.

If I close the file, however, and try to update the book again, I get the
same error messages as before. And the file is definitely writable. And by
the way, if I leave the file open and then try to update the book, I get
the same messages pointing at a different file. And I also get the same
result if I open, save, and close all the files in the book and try to
update again.

Has anyone else ever seen this behavior and, more importantly, does anyone
have a solution to suggest?

Thanks,
Rick Spiegel

NOTICE  from Ab Initio: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender, and make no further use, disclosure, or distribution. This email (including attachments) may contain information subject to confidentiality obligations, and sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege.