Framemaker 7 - need bookmarks and cropmarks in PDF

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 15:04:46 PDT 2010

Newbie Christine asked:

> First-timer here to this site...why cannot I not generate a pdf with both bookmarks and cropmarks?

That's by design. It's "horses for courses".
Crop marks are only useful/relevant when you're preparing camera-ready copy and the final deliverable with be hard copy. Bookmarks are only useable when you're preparing an electronic deliverable (the PDF itself) that will be used interactively. If you're preparing camera-ready copy, hyperlinks and interactive features are useless and just get in the way in the printing process. When you're delivering an interactive document, it's really annoying for users to see a large page area with a small text area and crop marks, since that forces them to zoom in to make the text easier to read and then live have to scroll over large amounts of whitespace in the top and bottom page margins. If you select "Generate Acrobat Data" (i.e. enable interactive features), FrameMaker automatically disables crop marks, and vice versa. If you're generating PDFs for two disparate purposes, you should be generating two separate, optimized PDFs.
-Fred Ridder