Mif2Go not outputting images in FM9 to RTF

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Wed Aug 25 07:55:16 PDT 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 06:27:02 -0700 (PDT), Writer <generic668 at yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>At the time that we upgraded to FM9 (it is fully patched),
>Mif2Go would crash my computer when I tried to output FM9
>files to RTF when I tried to set up the project file. I
>finally realized it was because I hadn't copied the new
>M2rbook.dll file to
>C:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker9\fminit\Plugins
>folder. Now I have and my computer no longer crashes.

Yes, FM9 *requires* the current version, as a result of a
change by Adobe India in the FDK call to produce MIF that
broke back compatibility.  This fact is documented.

I hope you also copied m2gframe.dll, which is the library
used by m2rbook.dll, and must be kept in sync with it.
The installation instructions point this out, in User's
Guide par. 1.4.1, "Install Mif2Go".  Of course, you also
need to copy the current conversion DLLs into their place
in \windows\system32 or \windows\syswow64.

>However, Mif2Go no longer exports images to the RTF files,
>although it did before I copied the M2rbook.dll file. I
>manually change WriteAllGraphics to Yes in the mif2rtf.ini
>file. I have tried this with DITA XML files and with
>unstructured FM files. Have I missed a step? Has anyone
>else had this problem?

That is not the only setting involved.  It is better to
determine graphics production from the Export dialog,
so that *all* the needed settings are changed.  To have
Mif2Go generate the graphics, select "Write for anchored
frames".  Note that this is *not* the best-quality method,
merely the simplest.  Please read User's Guide par. 3.7.4,
"Figuring out graphics export options", which explains this
in detail.

>Other info: XP, Word 2003
>
>Thank you for your help,

HTH!