Finding OLE Objects

Wed Aug 25 15:20:11 PDT 2010

Donald M Rinderknecht wrote:

> I'm using FM 8 for this file... forgot to mention that, but the Edit >
> Links doesn't show anything.
> In looking at the MIF I see it though:

> > <ImportObject
> >    <Unique 1152431>
> >    <Fill 7>
> >    <PenWidth  1.0 pt>
> >    <Separation 0>
> >    <ObColor `Black'>
> > =OLE2
> > &%v
> > &\xD0CF11E0A1B11AE100000000...
> Don't see anything in the doc... body or ref pages.
>
> Would it show in a LOF?

FM 9 or 8 has nothing to do with it. In 7.2, if I import an OLE object linked to file and select Edit > Links, it's listed. If the Links dialog doesn't show anything, that means whoever imported the OLE objects simply embedded them in the doc instead of linking to a file. A really, really bad idea, IMHO.

LOF won't help -- you simply define which paragraphs it includes. What can help is a List of References. Select Imported Graphics to include. Then use the LOR as a graphic eliminator as you page through the book. When you get to a graphic that's not listed in the LOR, it's either an embedded graphic or an OLE object.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.