Wisdom about spacing content on a page

Jim Duszynski JimDuszynski at SkylineProducts.com
Thu Dec 2 13:49:37 PST 2010

Hello Fellow Framers,

I have a non-FM offbeat question to ask, hoping to glean from the mighty collective wisdom this forum provides.  (And, many thanks for taking the time to respond to questions like these!)

I am working on a software User's Guide and desire to present the content in such a way that all the information or instruction that relates to a specific subject or task is grouped on the same page (without sacrificing appropriate white space). For example, instead of breaking a table across two pages, keep it on one page. The trouble is in some cases I end up with a large white space on the page before. That makes me wonder if the additional white space itself or the position of information (top justified vs. center justified) on the page may deceive the reader into wrongly thinking the chapter is complete.

I don't recollect any guidelines for presenting content in general. So I'd like to ask you for your thoughts on how you work with content format flow.  (Am I thinking to much about this?)

Thanks in advance,

Jim Duszynski
Skyline Products, Inc
Technical Writer