Missing QuickAccess and Formatting bars

Bill Rost Bill.Rost at retalix.com
Mon Dec 6 08:08:34 PST 2010

This is the continuation of an email that I sent about 6 weeks ago. My
PC died and the QuickAccess and Formatting bars refused to appear in
FrameMaker 7.2, reinstalled on a temp machine.  The short story is that
I reinstalled multiple times on the temp PC and never regained the
missing command bars. But, they showed up when I installed FM on my new,
clean PC.

This email is a "Thank you" to the two folks who sent suggested
solutions and info about the .ini files and what might be causing the
issue. In the course of moving between PCs, the IT dude and I managed to
lose my Outlook files and so the names of my advisors have disappeared.
To you who responded, thanks for the hints and pointers. Having someone
listen and understand is always helpful. The ideas pointed in the right
direction and you make this list the great resource that it is!

What I did discover, when I reinstalled on my new PC, is that the
fmtoolbr.ini file was missing on the temp machine. The machine was
removed while I set up my new one, so I'll never know if that was the
issue. However, the name of the file (fmtoolbr.ini) and comments in the
file, saying that it configures the QuickAccess and Formatting bars, are
strong hints! Why it didn't install on the temp machine?? Dunno! I used
the same FM install disk for all installs.

Thanks to all,

Bill Rost