FM 6 and FM 8 in the same computer

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Thu Dec 9 14:25:24 PST 2010

> First I had them running both...no problem.  Than I was unable to open a
> fm
> 6.0 file suing fm6.0.  It told me it could not open the file something
> like
> " the program recognizes this file as being a framemaker file but is
> unable
> to open it using this version"  the problem was that it was the FM6 trying
> to open an FM6 file.

> So I removed FM 6.0 altogether and "tried" to reinstall.  I was able to
> install the program and run in until after I put in my serial number and
> then it kick out.
>
> Thanks
>
> Clara Hall
> Technical Documentation Manager
> Aerospace Technologies Group, Inc.
> (561) 244-7372
> www.atgshades.com

"This program recognizes the file as being a FrameMaker file..." is the
message you get when you save a file from a newer version of FM and try to
open it in an older version. FM8 saves in a newer format, which FM6 (being
older) does not recognize. If you want to open an FM8 file in FM6, you first
have to save it as .mif. Then open the .mif file in FM6 and resave as .fm to
turn it back into an FM6 file.

Be aware that you may then see a new set of problems, depending on the fonts
you used in the FM8 document. FrameMaker became Unicode aware in v8.0 and so
uses a different and larger set of font glyphs than older versions of
FrameMaker. If you used any of the additional Unicode characters in your new
FM8 document, they will not convert back properly for use in FM6.

Mike Wickham