FM8 with SP3/FM9 SP3 or Windows7 - any problems?

Tue Dec 14 07:37:15 PST 2010

Orly Zimmerman wrote:

> HI All,
> I was wondering if anyone knows how FM8 handles embedded Visios (OLEs) with
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) or how FM9 handles them.
>
> Currently, we work with TCS-FM8 on Windows XP with SP2 and have a load of
> FM files with embedded Visios.

I'll second Michael's advice. An occasional use of OLE may be OK, but using lots of OLE objects is asking for trouble. I suggest you consider a change in workflow.

Assuming you have the full version of Acrobat, its PDF Maker for MS Office does a fine job of creating PDFs from Visio. Those PDFs can be imported into FM by reference as files, not OLE objects. When you update the Visio drawing, the only added step required is to click the Convert to PDF button.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom