Software: Automating object properties description in Reference Manual

mathieu jacquet bobitch at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 02:02:56 PST 2010

Dear all,

I am using FrameMaker 9.0.3 on Vista 64 bits.

I am currently working on a Reference Manual, the purpose of which is to document all software objects referenced in a Mash-Up Suite.

Objects will be documented on a per page basis, with:

1. Object short textual description
2. Properties table
3. Illustrated example

We'd like to automate the update of object properties tables. Our idea is to generate from the soft as many documents (XML, Word, Excel?) as objects, each document containing object properties in a properly formatted format, then insert these documents as text insets (converted into tables) into the Properties Table sections of the Reference Manual.

Does it sound like a sound process? Would you recommend proceeding differently? Which format would you go for for documents to be inserted into FrameMaker as tables?

Thank you very much in anticipation for your help,

Mathieu.