Identifying copied graphics?

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Tue Feb 2 10:54:27 PST 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:10:40 -0500, Art Campbell <art.campbell at gmail.com>
wrote:

>You're running 7.x aren't you?
>
>I don't have a version to look at, but I think you're SOL -- once the
>graphic is copied in it becomes part of the FM file, so the path/file
>name isn't needed. I'd be surprised if it was preserved.

It's not, in any version of Frame.  Oddly enough, Word
*does* preserve the filename and path for copied-in
graphics.  But alas, Frame does not.

>On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Nancy Allison <maker at verizon.net> wrote:

>> A predecessor of mine copied all the graphics into the files.
>>
>> Is there a way to identify the filenames of the graphics?
>Properties tells me nothing.

You can't retrieve the name, but you *can* retrieve the
graphic itself, in its original format, losslessly, by
exporting it with Mif2Go.  You can do a whole book at
once.  The graphics are named aaaannnn.ext, where the
aaaa is the start of the Frame filename and nnnn is a
sequence number (but *not* the sequence in the doc).
(The number of letters and digits is settable.)  You
had then best rename them to something more sensible.

This is very different from what you get with Frame's
HTML export, which re-renders the image at very poor
resolution; for EPS, it renders only the preview.  But
with Mif2Go, you get back the original, which is still
encoded in the MIF.

You don't even have to buy Mif2Go to do this; it works
fine in the demo version, and we approve of such use.
(We know you have Mif2Go, Nancy, but not everyone does.  ;-)

If you then want the graphics back in, but referenced,
it's best to go through the file, and at each image
select the image itself, *not* the anchored frame.
Then use File > Import > File for the appropriate
replacement graphic.  That way, you keep the scaling
and position of the image as it was, while removing
the embedded graphic.  It's quick and simple.

HTH!