Converting Rows to Headers

Writer generic668 at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 12 07:44:56 PST 2010

Some particular points that have frustrated me in the past are:

* rows not splitting across pages
* not being able to nest a table within a table without putting the inner table in an anchored frame
* not being able to rotate a table without putting it in an anchored frame

I know that most of those are surmountable if I'm using FM to create my output, but I use other tools to create output (such as ePublisher), and the results can be less than optimal. For example, ePublisher converts anything in an anchored frame to a graphic, and so text is not formatted for tables within anchored frames.

Fred, you mentioned Word in your previous post. I do think that Word handles tables better than FM does, at least with the first two points. I don't think I've tried to rotate a table in Word, so I'm not sure about that. However, as you also mentioned, Word doesn't handle anything else particularly well, so I don't consider is an acceptable tool overall.

I do like FM, and it meets most of my needs within acceptable limits. I just don't like the table feature.

As for plug-ins, I think it's great that people can come up with plug-ins to fill in the gaps (pardon the pun) in FM. It's the spirit of open source, but with a price tag. A lot of plug-ins aren't free. I would find it embarrassing to constantly have to go to my manager with my cap in hand saying, "Please, sir, I want some more."

Nadine