Running FrameMaker on Windows 2K8 (Service Pack 2)

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 08:16:18 PST 2010

Well, no, FM 8 doesn't support Windows Server 2008 (Note the Server in
the product name -- there is no "Windows 2008" operating system), so
far as I know. And in general, Windows Server products are optimized
to work in a server environment and may be lacking some basic
programming bits and pieces that regular Windows products provide.
However, you may be able to get it to run on that platform.

If you're going to use this in a production environment, you're likely
to save time and money by installing it on a supported platform: XP or
Vista, although it also runs fine on W7. Especially if it's only for
the limited use you mention...

One other thing you may try: There's a patched version of FM 8 online,
in http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=22&platform=Windows
that was actually released in 2009 in response to some XP SP3 bug
problems.
If you're loading FM 8 from an old CD, you should probably try this
newer build instead, just to see if the fixes have any impact.

Art Campbell
               art.campbell at gmail.com
                                                      No disclaimers apply.
                                                               DoD 358