"below" building block in X-Refs

Galanter, Lea Lea.Galanter at fticonsulting.com
Fri Feb 12 08:56:04 PST 2010

Fred Ridder is correct -- do not use geographic cues in technical
documentation, because they are ambiguous (where below?). Per "The
Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications" (a standard guide
for technical documentation, among others), do not use terms such as
"above" and "below". If the graphic or table immediately follows, then
use "the following"; if the graphic or table immediately precedes, then
use "the previous". Otherwise, indicate the page (I only use the page
number if the graphic is on another page; otherwise, I say something
like "...as shown in Figure 3.1").

Lea Galanter
Lead Technical Editor & Writer
FTI Technology