XML Output from FrameMaker not Pure XML?

Kevin Farwell kevinf at dim.com
Sun Feb 14 21:00:01 PST 2010

Hello,

Not true, but first is the problem of pure XML. It's been a while
since I used Flare, but I recall it wrote only XHTML and elements in
its own namespace.  As XML should be extensible, I'd say Flare, while
what its storages format is indeed pure XML, is not purely an XML
authoring tool. It's a Flare authoring tool. (Please, no flaming.
Flare is a pretty sharp tool, but the question is about XML
authoring.)

Scott Prentice is right. FrameMaker makes XML as pure as can be. The
problem is users can make big mistakes by not paying attention to how
their XML gets saved. I believe such inattention is the source
FrameMaker's reputation as an XML editor, and it's a bad rap. Xmetal
and Arbortext Editor will always write XML, but they can also mess up
your files pretty well if you aren't keeping an eye on them.

Kevin