single character page numbering (with no hyphen)

Mon Feb 15 23:58:22 PST 2010

Ken, if you were here right now, I'd put on my chrome Patton helmet, slap you upside the head, and bark, "Snap out of it, soldier!" But that's probably just the adult beverages talking.

Stop looking at Format This and Format That, and actually _look_at_the_footers_ on your master pages. I'm guessing they contain either " -#" or "<$chapnum>-#" (sans quotes, of course). Delete the "-" (or "<$chapnum>-"), and you're good to go.

But remind yourself not to import page layouts from a chapter file to your frontmatter files. If you're going to use folio numbering (chapter#-page#) for your chapters and traditional roman numbering (i, ii, etc.) for your frontmatter, then you have to use different master pages for the frontmatter files.

Richard

________________________________

From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com on behalf of Ken Poshedly
Sent: Mon 2/15/2010 7:14 PM
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: single character page numbering (with no hyphen)

FM8.0 on a Windows Vista platform

I'm sure there's a simple answer for this, but I've really tried all
I can think of and can't seem to find a way to get rid of the
preceding hyphen for a page number within a footer.

Like it or not, I'm trying to place just a single, lower-case Roman
numeral in the footer of my TOC. So with the file open and Master
Pages view selected, I choose Format > Headers & Footers > Insert Page #

What I get is a hyphen preceding the pound-sign variable or
placeholder or whatever it is.

I've checked Format > Document > Numbering and tried to make sure
there is nothing in the Chapter box.

I've checked Format > Paragraph Designer > Numbering (just to see if
a hyphen is included in the numbering equation) but there is no
numbering scheme to found there at all.

I've checked Special > Variable > Edit Definition and deleted the
unnecessary building blocks for Current Page # (leaving only
<$curpagenum> with no preceding hyphen) and, for whatever reason,
that didn't work.

Note that in the rest of the book, I do use a chapter number with
hyphen with page number combo. But I don't want it that way in the
TOC and I don't want to designate the TOC as section 0. No comments,
please, on my choice of document or numbering decisions.

So short of actually typing in an i and an ii and so on, what else to do?

-- Kenpo in Atlanta