Disobedient hyperlinks

Chris Despopoulos despopoulos_chriss at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 07:06:11 PST 2010

Hmmm...  It seems you're right, and so this would be a limitation, if not a bug.  Here's what I did:
* Create a ref frame named MyPopup, and give it 5 commands.
  4 commands display an alert, and one command displays a submenu.
  (Note: the ">>" chars display correctly in the submenu.)
  The submenu command links to the MySubPopup ref frame.
* Create a ref frame named MySubPopup and give it 2 commands.
  Both commands display an alert
* Put LINK #1 on a body page to MyPopup ref frame.
* Put LINK #2 on a body page to MySubPopup ref frame.

The results are...  From LINK #1 all the alert commands in MyPopup work.  The submenu displays correctly.  From the submenu, none of the MySubPopup alerts work.  To confirm the MySubPopup alerts, I used LINK #2 -- all the MySubPopup alerts work from that link.

I call this a bug, because Maker ovbiously supports sub menus (they display, and the '>>' character draws correctly), but you can't do anything with the submenu commands.  Somebody pointed out that maybe a plug-in could fix this.  Technically speaking, I suppose so.  But it looks as though you would need to implement a full menu facility.  If the alert hypertext markers don't fire, then I don't see why a Message Client marker would fire.

That said, I suppose one would have to properly test this and make sure the limitation arises under all imaginable situations, for all the commands.  Maybe alerts are special?  But on the surface, it looks like a genuine problem.

NOTE:  I tested this in Maker 9 -- other versions may not show this problem.

cud