Page Numbering Problem

Thu Feb 18 22:08:31 PST 2010

Howard Rauch wrote:

> Under Format/Page Layout/Pagination
> - Double Sided (I have left and right master pages)
> - Left Side (the chapter should begin on the left page)
> - Delete Empty Pages
>
> Under Format/Document/Numbering/Page
> - Continue Numbering from Previous Page in Book
>
> This chapter should be pages 18-19. When I renumber the book, Frame adds a
> blank page 20 and changes the Pagination to "Make Page Count Odd."
>
> The settings are the identical for the chapter. I also checked the upstream
> and downstream chapters. They are set up the same way.

As Fred said, be sure to set the pagination in the book window (selecting all the files that should have the same settings), not in each file. But the first file doesn't just "presumably start on a right page, " it _must_. (Forgive the pedantry, Fred. :-) ) So some file before the first chapter has to have an odd number of pages.

Fred's suggestion of using Next Available and Delete Empty pages makes sense if you don't care which side a chapter starts on, but since you say that not only this chapter, but the upstream and downstream ones have 1st Page Side set to Left, I'm assuming you want all chapters to start on the left side.

For the chapter files, set Before Saving & Printing to Make Page Count Even. If all the chapters have 1st Page Side set to Left, setting it to Delete Empty Pages should give you the same result -- FM will still insert an empty page when necessary to start the next chapter on a left page. But making it explicit might help reveal the problem.

If you set Before Saving & Printing to Make Page Count Even, then updating the book should make the problem chapter either two pages or four. If it's four (18-21), then something is preventing FM from deleting the "empty" page 20, so it adds page 21 to make the count even. The only two things I can think of that will do that are content that you can't see or a custom master page.

You could have empty paragraphs at the end, as Huntley suggested (you should routinely work with View > Text Symbols turned on). But if that's the case, page 20 should be there even before you update the book. I'm getting ahead of myself -- I'm assuming there's a text frame on page 20 (you should have View > Borders turned on, too).

When you update the book, do you have Apply Master Pages selected? Check your reference pages for a master page mapping table. On page 20, go to Format > Page Layout > Master Page Usage. Is it set to a Custom master page?

Zoom out on page 20, click in the margin, and press Ctrl+A (Edit > Select All On Page). If your page layout consists of the standard single text frame per page, that should be the only thing selected (header/footer and other master page "background" elements aren't part of the body page). Maybe there's something else on the page?

That's all I can think of right now, and ought to give you some things to explore. HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom