Opening book files without opening the book

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Feb 24 12:06:09 PST 2010

On 24/02/2010 9:56 AM, Timothy DeWees wrote:

> I am currently working with a couple of other people who are new to
> framemaker. I've been using frame for a bit over two years on a near daily
> basis. I use the practice of always opening a frame book before editing
> individual files within that book. My concern is that by working in an
> individual file without opening the book, that errors such as broken
> cross-references, re-mapping of text insets, or other errors may occur. Is
> my concern founded, or is it ok to edit individual book files without ever
> opening the book?  If anyone has a link to a discussion of this topic, that
> would be particularly helpful.

Opening the book file doesn't prevent any of the errors you mention.
There's no requirement to open the book file before editing chapters,
but I find it convenient to do so.  If I'm working in one chapter and
want to check something that is in a different chapter, it's easier to
open that file with a double-click in the book window than to deal with
the file/folder hierarchy of the OS.

Where it really makes a difference to have the book file open is when
you make PDFs.  If the book file is open, cross-file cross-ref's in the
chapter PDF files will point to locations in book.pdf, whereas if not,
they'll point to locations in other_chapter.pdf.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"On the contrary."
-- Henrik Ibsen (last words, after a nurse said he "seemed a little
better.")