Blurry vector/raster images in PDF

Lief Erickson lief at networkinstruments.com
Tue Jan 12 08:46:23 PST 2010

Hi All-

I have an image that is partially blurry in Acrobat. The image is a mix of vector and raster. I have created an Illustrator CS4 drawing and I'm trying to so how certain dialogs in our application affect the computer on which the application runs. Portions of the computer are represented as vector drawings and I have placed screen captures (.png from SnagIt), which are the raster portions.

Here's what's intriguing:

1.       Save As PDF from Illustrator, the resulting PDF is clear for both the vector and raster portions. Why is this clear? So I know it's possible to get a clear combined vector/raster image.

2.       Import the Illustrator file into FrameMaker and print, the raster portion is completely blurry, but the vector portion is crisp. Why is the vector clear, but the raster is blurry?

3.       Import that crisp PDF from Illustrator into FrameMaker and print to file, the raster portion is completely blurry, but the vector portion is crisp. (This doesn't surprise me because FrameMaker really imports the PDF preview of the .ai file.)

This lead me to believe that it's a compression setting in my Acrobat PDF printer, or something that FrameMaker may be doing to the file. I've tried changing various image compression settings in my Adobe PDF printer, but nothing has worked. Any hints on where to look or what to change so that both things are clear? How can I get a mix of screen captures into a vector drawing that remain crisp? If I need to change my workflow, that's fine.

FrameMaker 9
Acrobat Pro 9
SnagIt 9
Illustrator CS4

-Lief

This email has been scanned. This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient or an authorized representative of an intended recipient, you are prohibited from using, copying or distributing the information in this e-mail or its attachments. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies of this message and any attachments.