Variables in inset files viewed through container file

Whitney Broach Whitney at BroachServices.com
Wed Jan 20 18:44:12 PST 2010

Happy New Year,

After a quick scan of 4 years of list traffic on "container" and then
"variable", close but no cigar, so here goes (using unstructured FM8):

Inset file has <$filename> variable.

Container file imports by reference.

With "Retain Source's Formatting" the file name shown through the container
is the name of the inset. Good. I want this file name to appear as-is.

With "Reformat Using Current Document's Formats" the file name shown through
the container is the name of the container file. Nope. I want this format
control, but not that content, that file name. It's the name of the inset
that I want to be visible.

Doesn't look like a "format" difference, at least not in the visual sense.

How do I make the inset file name from its <$filename> variable to appear
through "Reformat Using Current Document's Formats" in the container file?

Without structured FM? Without script? (Can consider both; looking cheaply
first.)

This is a big issue with a container template that requires frequent paratag
formatting changes from what's in inset files that are re-used across
multiple container templates.

Related question: how do I simultaneously make the same Settings change for
multiple insets in the same container file? Thinking backstop here, just in
case. (Is that scripting that I hear lurking in the background.?)

Best,

Whitney

Whitney Broach

Broach Services, Inc.

Solution development & rollout | Analytics and writing | Project management

(+01).303.377.9448 (office)

(+01).303.748.9448 (cell)

The information contained in this message may be legally privileged and
confidential.  It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to
whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any distribution of this
message, in any form, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or Broach
Services, Inc. by telephone at (303) 377-9448 and delete or destroy any copy
of this message.