Problems with updating unresolved internal xrefs in FrameMaker 7.2p158

Baruch Brodersen baruch at technitext.com
Thu Jan 21 23:47:56 PST 2010

Hi Linda,
Both source and target cross references must share the same conditional text
tag or they will *report* as unresolved if either are hidden in the final
book. To see if there are really unresolved xrefs present (and not just
reported ones), add a list or index of unresolved cross references to your
book. You may get lots of unresolved xrefs in the book-generated error.log,
but none in your generated file. Go by the generated file. You might also
add a list or index of external cross references to see what's going on
there. If you have xrefs to files outside of your book path, you may have
problems. Xrefs to files outside your book in another directory path will
report as resolved if the path is good even though the files are not part of
your book. Frame can find those files. However, the hypertext link will not
work in the resultant PDF because those files are quite obviously not part
of your book.
Baruch Brodersen
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 1:22 AM, <lsachs2 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Can someone on this list possibly explain why suddenly I'm not able to
> update unresolved internal cross-references with this version of FrameMaker?
> I can find unresolved external cross-referneces to other chapters, but not
> unresolved internal cross-references. As a result, I can't update a book
> file. All the chapters are open, of course. I'm using conditional text to
> generate two different versions of a book.
>

> Any suggestions would be appreciated, except telling me I need to upgrade
> FrameMaker. That's not an option for me.
>

> Thanks much for your help.
>

> Linda Sachs
>
> lsachs2 at comcast.net
> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/baruch%40technitext.com

B a r u c h   B r o d e r s e n
T e c h n i t e x t   D o c u m e n t a t i o n
8 7 7  7 2 1  6 9 8 8
Sent from Givatayim, TA, Israel