Semi-tangential: Symbol font is not being correctly embedded in FrameMaker PDF

Tori Muir tmuir at spot-on-creative.com
Wed Jan 27 01:30:26 PST 2010

I have a document that uses Symbol to add arrows to the text.   Frame
7.1 with Acrobat Distiller 6.0 (yes, it's outdated, but it's worked just
fine until today) on Win XP, which is in turn running on Parallels.

The Symbol characters are fine in FrameMaker. I print to a .ps file,
then run through Distiller. But as of today Distiller can't  'find' the
Symbol font, so it's using Courier instead. I don't know how that can
happen, since Symbol is  installed (it couldn't be used in the
FrameMaker document if it wasn't).  The font is getting properly
specified in the postscript file because I can move the .ps file to my
Macintosh and distill via Acrobat Distiller 9.2, and that PDF is
correct. But was hoping someone has a bright idea why Acrobat Distiller
has suddenly decided it can't find Symbol, and even better,  a way to
fix it....

Tori Muir
tmuir at spot-on-creative.com
www.spot-on-creative.com