Content Structuring on a desktop

Roger Shuttleworth rshuttleworth at avbasesystems.com
Wed Jan 27 05:58:04 PST 2010

Hello Rick

When you say "selecting and moving multi-page chunks of text", do you mean in the document view? If you work in Structure View, you can collapse or expand all elements down to a certain level (hold down Shift while you click the minus or plus sign in SV), then drag and drop chunks, or cut and paste. This makes reordering of text pretty swift. Any numbering of headings would be adjusted automatically.

As for DITA, you could check out the framemaker-dita group on Yahoo. Without more information on what you are thinking of doing with DITA, it's hard to advise. But you can certainly implement DITA using FrameMaker without spending a lot on extra tools. Check out the DITA-FmX plugin at www.leximation.come, for example.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Roger Shuttleworth
Technical Documentation