Grayscale Images are RGB

Scott White swhite at alamark.com
Thu Jan 28 06:54:34 PST 2010

I've been playing with the settings with Acrobat Distiller 9 and Framemaker 9 trying to fix my grayscale images coming out rgb. I have been sending samples to my printer and each and every sample he is telling me my text is black but the images are rgb. These are the same images we have used for years in other catalogs with them and they were fine.

I have followed his step-by-step acrobat distiller settings for 9 and the results are not what I expect. He said he can convert the files for me at no charge, but I would like to find out why this is happening.

I print my Frame file to the acrobat printer option. I have a specific, press-quality print setting within distiller 9 using my printers recommendation. Create the pdf.

What I did in the past with older versions of Frame is I would print to postscript and then distill and generate my pdf that way. No problems.

We are running this on a mac through parallels. Windows XP Pro and Framemaker 9 with all the updates.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Scott White
Media Production & EBC Manager
Implementation Coordinator