Grayscale Images are RGB

Scott White swhite at alamark.com
Thu Jan 28 09:45:16 PST 2010

Dov
Thanks for your reply.
Here's the history. We've been using these same images for years with older versions of frame without problems. These images are grayscale .tif files that we painstakingly processed over the years. More than 1,000,000 images.
We have done all our catalogs with Frame, first on the mac and then of course on windows when the mac was no longer supported. I still keep my mac running classic so I can run Frame 7 just in case.

So I don't think the images are in question.

We first started seeing some issues arise in Framemaker 8 and it has since moved along to Framemaker 9. The print-quality PDF results with the same acrobat settings we had used in the past were no longer giving us valid results.
Our printer has recently been converting our outputs to grayscale and 4-color for no charge since that was a simple fix. But for my clients who choose to use a different printer, there is a charge for this.

What I have decided to do is find out why settings we used to use for Acrobat no longer work in later versions of Frame or Acrobat. I know technology changes so I need to find out what I need to do. So far I have made sure I have the latest updates for Frame 9, installed the hotfix that Art suggested on the xp drive of our iMac, and will incorporate your suggestions as well.

I'm studying your first point about anything other than EPS will come out as RGB. I find that interesting that a desktop publishing software app from Adobe would not output the correct image results like InDesign. I know our .tif images were  output correctly in older versions. I never had the printer give me an alert about my images before.

I know we will get to the bottom of this so I can truly understand what is happening with files so I can relay that to the clients who use Framemaker with our software to print their 1,000-page catalogs.

Scott White
Media Production & EBC Manager
Implementation Coordinator
210-704-8239