Cross-reference formatting, Part 2

Jenny Greenleaf alicemerry at comcast.net
Thu Jan 28 14:18:16 PST 2010

Thanks, Alan. I looked at that approach, but I can't apply the character format in the cross-reference definition, because other words in the cross reference are not set in small caps. There is another character format applied to the x-ref...maybe they are clashing?  The references are like this:

Chapter 7, Use SmallCap Thing

In this case, I only want the word SmallCap in small caps....it's a product name. The client is really into it.

I have a Character Style that defines small caps. The words that are set in small caps are set up as variables, using the SmallCaps style. When I create the chapter titles/headings, I simply inserted the correctly formatted variable.

The variable is formatted as <T Title>ProductName<Default Para Font>.

What I don't understand is why they are in the proper format when I insert them, and then change when I generate TOC/Index.

For now, I've fixed them by hand and turned off automatic updating. That's going to bite me, at some point, so I'd like to resolve it.

Jenny